Thursday, January 26, 2012

Keep Practicing!

Moriah is hilarious! Last night, while Moriah was in the restroom brushing her teeth, preparing to go to bed, Darren and I were in the living room having a conversation. Darren was on this kick about not being a good father and wishing he could do better, feeling bad about himself for whatever reason. Moriah overhears him and says very matter of factly, "Dad (sarcastically), you have to keep trying! You've got to PRACTICE!!!! You'll get better!" In the meantime, Darren and I are laughing and laughing! If I had said that, it would have just been a piece of advice meant to be given in encouragement, but would probably be ignored, but when a child gives this SIMPLE kind of advice, it really makes you think! She has a way of making us think!
I think I understand how he feels, though. Sometimes Moriah makes me feel like I am a failure as a mother, and MOST of the time I make MYSELF feel like a failure as a mother, and I wonder if I will EVER get it right! Then there are times when Moriah comes through for me and makes me feel like all my effort isn't in vain, after all! I've been after her for YEARS to sing with us in church and she has always balked, which was strange for me because Darren and I both sing in church ALL THE TIME! I couldn't understand why Moriah had no desire! She never embarrasses easy, but if she ever DOES get embarrassed or shy, (MORIAH SHY?????) it's when she has to get up in front of people and do something! She says she doesn't like people looking at her! Well, a couple of weeks ago, after much begging and pleading, out of the blue, she finally asks me in church if she can go up with me and I said that was perfectly fine! When we got up to sing, she came with me and shock of all shocks, she asked if she could sing "Jesus Loves Me"! What do you think my reaction was? I said, "Of course you can!" And every service since then, unless the service went another direction, she has sang in service and has even inspired another girl in the church to get up and sing with her! Now, Moriah LOVES it!!! Now all I have to do is teach her wisdom in singing in church! That will come with experience and age! This mommy is SOO happy to see my little girl FINALLY getting a desire to sing! She has a beautiful, strong singing voice! LOUD!!! LOL! This mom is happy! Now, if I can just get her to show the same kind of interest in doing her school work, I WILL feel like I have accomplished something...

2 comments:

  1. If she sings like her momma, she's bound to be good!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What good advise....You have to keep trying! I love it!

    ReplyDelete